Saturday, May 02, 2009

Wonders of Houston

Yesterday I visited two very famous Houston spots that I have managed to miss in my 8 years of living here.

1. The Menil Collection. "WHAT?!" you say, "Tara, you are so erudite and sophisticated and cultural, etc, and plus you have lived within a 5 block radius of this world-famous museum for perhaps 30% of your time in this fair city.... HOW IS IT POSSIBLE YOU HAVE NOT VISITED BEFORE?!" I know, I know, people. I asked myself the very same questions. Mainly I was busy pinching myself, because right there, just down the street from my apartment and with free admission five days a week, are some of the major landmarks of modern art, particularly the surrealist movement. THEY HAVE THE DUCHAMP "LHOOQ" FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE! This museum in gorgeous, small, free and filled with incredible treasures. Also the Rothko Chapel is right next to it. See it.

2. Texas Junk Company. Another Houstonlandmark. "WHAT?!" you say, "Tara, you are so erudite and sophisticated and cultural, etc, and plus you have lived within a 10 block radius of this world-famous store for perhaps 30% of your time in this fair city.... HOW IS IT POSSIBLE YOU HAVE NOT VISITED BEFORE?!" Ok, Ok, I have driven by it 800 times, and they are NEVER open. Sheesh. Finally I read the sign and the hours are clear: Thurs-Sat 11-6. So yesterday I went, and I will tell you that I have never seen so many cowboy boots in one place in my entire life. And also that the use of the word "Junk" in the title is not ironic. Still, a very interesting place to spend a half-hour (or, if you get lost down a trail of bedframes, an hour or so).

No comments:

Post a Comment