Sunday, April 11, 2010

March books

Man oh man I have been absent for a while!!  Blame it on my return to the vagabond life....ironic since I just purchased my first home, but what can you do?

What say we get the ball rolling again with a roundup of the books and movies I imbibed during March?

Books
1.  The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate My bookclub decided to read 3 young adult novels for this month, and IT WAS AN AWESOME DECISION. CRIMINY I LOVE YOUNG ADULT FICTION. This was my favorite of the three.  A lovely tale of a young girl growing up in turn of the century Texas.... a girl with a decidedly un-girlish fascination with the world of nature and science.  WONDERFUL.

2.  The Invention of Hugo Cabret Amazing.  #2 in the bookclub lineup.  A beautiful book.... actually a graphic novel.  Gorgeous illustrations.  Great story.  read it.

3. The Headless Cupid  Another lovely tale. Wonderful young adult reading.  Gooness I love this genre.  My favorite book at this age:  From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler

4.  The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Definitely not young adult fiction.  I'll admit, it was a little slow going for me at first, but once the ball got rolling I could not put it down.  Well I did put it down once, and then I got up again, turned on the light, and stayed up reading into the wee hours. 

5. Tosca's Rome: The Play and the Opera in Historical Perspective A really interesting resource on an opera that is rife with historical reference and religious realism.  I would recommend this to other directors who are supposed to be directing the show.  Harumpf.

6. The Soul of a Chef: The Journey Toward Perfection Truthfully this was re-read, but it was just as engrossing the second time around.  A journalist's observations of the master chef exam at the Culinary Institute of America and then of 3 major American chefs.... what makes them tick?  What makes a chef a chef?

So that is a respectable lineup isn't it?  And I saw a TON of movies.... think I will save that for another post.  On the edge of your seat now aren't you?  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment