Wednesday, July 14, 2010

June movies

O lordy, it has been a doozy of a summer for movies.  I am striking out left and right!  But in the interest of keeping a record....here we go: 

1. Iron Man (Ultimate 2 Disc Edition) So I basically went to see this movie because I love Robert Downey, Jr. and I love going to movies, and there was virtually nothing else worth seeing on my day off.  I enjoyed the first Iron Man well enough.... and this was not painful to watch.  It doesn't seem so awesome when "this was not painful" is kind of the best comment I have.  hmmm.

2.  Duplicity  I wanted to like this so much.  Really. It seemed stylish enough at the outset... really like a lot of the actors...the plot seemed fairly interesting.  But somehow, I just got completely mired in the story telling. I couldn't even finish the thing.  What IS awesome: the first 5 minutes of the show... Paul Giamatti and Tom Wilkinson cat-fighting on a tarmac.  Priceless.

3. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo  This spring, I read and loved this book, and I thought the movie was a pretty fair representation.  The entire time, though, I wondered what it would be like to see the movie NOT knowing how it was going to end.  Incidentally, this film is already available for Instant Watch on Netflix. 

4. Killer at Large: Why Obesity is America's Greatest Threat.   Thank you Netflix Instant Watch. Without you, I would not have seen this horrifying documentary.

5. Cyrus  Saw this recently with one of my very favorite people (hi matt!) at one of my very favorite movie theatres:  The Mayan Theatre  in Denver, Colorado.   Awesome theatre. Awesome company.  Did not love the movie.  Interesting performances. Not a great script.  A comedy/drama... somehow, something just fell through the cracks.

6.  New York, I Love You   Boooo...zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.  Not so much bad as just incredibly dull. A series of vignettes about New York life.  Great actors! Theoretically, a wealth of fabulous subject matter!  What happened???  And who the heck can tell me what the episode with Julie Christie and Shia LaBoeuf was supposed to be about? 

7. Samson et Dalila   The Met Opera production with Domingo and Borodina.  Interesting production of this French Grand Opera.  Really loved the ballet sections.  Very inspiring.  I am directing this piece in fall 2011, so it is good to get a sense of some production history.

HOWEVER, there are a few movies I am really looking forward to seeing!  So hopefully the next roundup will be bit more effusive.  Fingers crossed...
1. El Secreto De Sus Ojos (The Secret in Their Eyes)
2. Descpicable Me
3. Micmacs
4. Toy Story 3
5. A Single Man

1 comment: