Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Flurry of activity

oooo I love fall.  Some folks like to say we don't really have a "fall" in Houston, but I beg to differ:  do you walk outside and immediately want to die because the wall of humidity has knocked you over and soaked all your clothing in .03 seconds?  No?  Then it must be fall.  Enjoy!

I've been home for almost 48 hours now, and am scheduled to leave again in the morning, but I've been making the most of my limited time here.  Doing what? I'm so glad you asked...
  1. Restoring another ancient window in my ancient home.  When I began work on this window at 6:30am on Monday morning, it was almost 2inches out of line, and at the top where the glass is supposed to meet, there was a full 1/2 inch of air.  Air from the outside, coming into my house.   So.... after a very long day of paint scraping, carpentry, sealing, repainting, and re-glazing (that's fancy talk for putting in new glass), I have a window that looks A LOT better and functions quite a bit more like a window is supposed to.  Yay for sweat equity. 
  2. Clearing out a horrible flower bed in my side yard.  Where do all these rocks come from???    Getting ready to plant new Nandinas there, whose leaves and berries invoke a deep-seated childhood memory that floats just on the edge of my comprehension, like a song you can't quite hum out loud. 
  3. Working on the front flower beds.  I did a ton of work here last year, so this was a lot easier.  Planted up a ton of friendly little pansies.  It is unclear to me why the term "pansy" refers to a weakling or feminine type.  While yes, these flowers do have a feminine flair, they are incredibly hardy little flowers, flourishing throughout the winter with very little encouragement.  I love their friendly, velvety faces.  
  4. Giggling happily at a very nice review for my most recent project:  Tulsa Opera's Daughter of the Regiment Dazzles.
  5. Unpacking and repacking!  Ok that part is still in progress...
So, off to NYC in the morning, then to Georgia  to meet my new niece, then home for a week, then to Chicago!  Whirlwind....


1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6:15 AM

    After research a couple of of the weblog posts on your web site now, and I truly like your means of blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark web site list and shall be checking back soon. Pls take a look at my site as nicely and let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete