Thursday, January 28, 2010

January books

You may recall I made some fancy vow to read "one book a week" for the 52 weeks of 2010.  After doing some simple math, I determined that that plan was sheer folly, but that I would consciously make an effort to devote myself to more reading.  And thus I find, here on at the tail end of January, that I have indeed completed a fair number of books this month.

  1. Restoration by Rose Tremain.  A beautifully written tale of a 17th century man coming to know himself.  I was absolutely swept away by the lyrical, witty loveliness of this story.  I began the book expecting an everyday pleasant historical fiction read, but I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a novel more.
  2. Real Estate Riches: How to Become Rich Using Your Banker's Money by Dolf de Roos.  I read this in a single evening, after having dinner with a fellow "starving artist" who is getting into the real estate game.  It has lit a fire in my belly. 
  3. What the Dog Saw: And Other Adventures by Malcolm Gladwell.  I am sorry, this man is genius.  Not only does he connect the dots that no one else even sees, he explains the connections in the most fascinating way.  My favorite chapter: the one about Caesar, the dog whisperer.  Amazing. 
  4. Raising Lazarus: The Science of Healing the Soul by Blair Justice and Pittman McGehee.  This one is still in progress.  "Chronicles the relationship of a mind-body scientist and a Jungian psychoanalyst priest as they bring together the wisdom and knowledge from each of their fields to save the life of the scientist from severe depression."   Report to follow.  But you know the intersection of psychology, mysticism and molecular biology is an interesting little corner I am happy to visit. 
I feel certain that the moment I publish this post I will recall other books that belong on the list... no worries, I will report on them next month.  In the meantime, I have foster kitties to wrangle. Thank you and Good night. 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment