Thursday, August 08, 2013

Tips from the Road: Remember Your Secrets!



In the course of my career, I often return to the same cities every year or two.  I spend a lot of time getting to know these cities, and in my early days, was sometimes frustrated that I did not do a better job of keeping up with the little secrets I learned.   What is worse than looking forward to  "the best walnut-cream-cheese bagel I ever tasted".... but not remembering where you found it?

For a long time I tried to remember to keep an analog journal of such things (and I still do, to a degree), but lately I've been trying to make technology my friend:  ENTER THE IPHONE CAMERA.

What is easier than taking a quick snapshot of the restaurant or store you've found?  With Instagram, you can even label it with hashtags for easy access later on.  Genius.

Analog tips:
Keep a large manilla envelope for each city you visit.   When you are scheduled to return to this city, pull out the envelope and you are ready to go!   I include....

  • public transit maps
  • partially used subway cards
  • take-out menus
  • foreign currency
  • business cards
  • partially used laundry cards
  • IF I am really on the ball, I put a little index card with NAMES of people I've met

Digital tips:  

  • Make use of Instagram for good food, good stores, nice people you want to remember, fun places to visit.
  • Make a Pinterest board for each city you visit... fill it with your pics, but also pin ideas from other folks!
  • Be sure to check in with your Facebook friends to see what they recommend.... and if any of them will be in town!



Follow me on Instagram to see my travel secrets!

No comments:

Post a Comment